Friday, February 8, 2008

YOU DECIDE !

Why is there this obsession with knowing how much people around you are lifting? I am sad to say that many new comers to the world of bodybuilding start off on the wrong foot.

In my personal experience the trainers in the gymnasiums are always overridden when the obsessed new comers comes in to train. All what they believe is that the only thing that matter is weight! Technique is often overlooked and there is just the desire to pile on that weight and push those reps out. Even if this means holding their breath on that last repetition, pulling a face that resembles severe constipation and looking like they are auditioning for the Body Popping Championships.

I have lost count to how many times I have been asked, “How much can you bench press?” I am a person who really don’t care about the amount of weight I could lift. The only thing that matter for me and what I look for in a client is technique. It has now got to the stage where just for my personal amusement.

I try and estimate a figure that will be more than their bench weight, just to see the disappointment on their faces. The truth is, I am not impressed with how much anyone can lift until I see their technique, because that is the deciding factor for me and should be for you. If you are just starting out or currently train with very heavy weight, do not fall into the trap of just going for maximum weight, with no consideration to anything else. You will put your body at a higher risk of injury.

Use a weight that you can safely lift yourself, without bouncing the weight off your body. On a final note, have a look around the gym and see who is really working out. Is it the guy underneath the bar on the bench press or his poor spotter who is working so hard, he is actually doing a set of deadlifts, to ensure his friend can have an ego boost?

Train strictly with weights that you can lift and if that means reducing weight so be it. In the long run, you’ll experience far less injuries (if any) and pack on far more strength and lean muscle.

Now guys you decided if this is EGO TRAINING or WEIGHT TRAINING?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very true, I workout at your gym, sometimes i c same happening there.

mohamed said...

Hell Yeah!
I know some who are weight oriented and have maintained the fat and stupid attitude...
i think these are the people who come to hang around in the gym [and always know better].
very nice people as long as you talk about their big muscles LOL

adhu said...

Spot on, good post with facts.

subcorpus said...

doesnt the amount of weight on the bar add the macho factor ... ???
i thought the weight i manage to pump is directly proportional to the number of people who think i'm the best ... especially the opposite gender ...
guess i was wrong eh ... ? hehe ...
guess the amount of weight on the bar doesnt have a link to alpha male status ... what a bummer ...
good post bro ...